If you are looking for a dentist, you have to make your choice carefully. After all, nothing will make more of a difference in your results than your choice of dentist. Taking the time and effort to make a proper choice will give you years of benefits in terms of a more attractive, more comfortable, and longer-lasting smile makeover.
Start by asking for referrals. If you know friends, family, or acquaintances who have had smile makeovers, ask them who did their work and whether they would recommend their dentist. If you have a good relationship with your general dentist and feel they would give you an honest recommendation, ask them for recommendations.
Next, go online. Take your recommendations and search for dentists in the area. You may evaluate dentists on the information provided on their websites, but avoid being swayed by an attractive design or fancy features. Instead, look for the following information to help narrow down your list:
- Training – Do they have ongoing education in cosmetic dentistry?
- Experience – Make sure they have a wealth of knowledge and years performing the procedures you’re looking for.
- Results – Be sure to look at before and after images, but be aware that some dentist’s high-profile cases may not be online because of privacy concerns. You can always call the office and ask for a consult and to see more examples.
- Services offered – Be sure the office offers more than just a few services and don’t forget about services such as sedation. If you are anxious about dental procedures, this can be a game-changer.
- Specialties – You may be visiting the dentist for something related to pain or cosmetics, but the right cosmetic dentist who has advanced training may be able to do a “2 for 1” type of service. For example, eliminate pain and restore your smile within the same treatment plan! Neuromuscular dentistry helps with finding the perfect harmony of your bite – and aligns your smile for a true win-win result!
Select a minimum of three dentists you want to meet with.
When meeting with dentists, talk to them about what you want to achieve and listen to their recommendations. Make sure they were listening and their recommendations fit what you want. Talk to them about their qualifications and make sure they’re consistent with the website. Make sure you feel comfortable working with the dentist and trust them to give you good results. Ask to see additional before and after pictures of cases like yours.
After visiting with these dentists, choose one that gives you full confidence that you will be in good hands to receive great results. If none of the dentists gives you that confidence, keep looking. Your smile is too important to trust to anyone you don’t have full confidence in.